last updated December 23, 2015
- Vision West ND is a local and regional planning effort that covers the 19 western ND counties and Fort Berthold Reservation affected by oil and gas production.
- Vision West ND was made possible through US Department of Housing and Urban Development ($1.5 M) and the North Dakota Departments of Trust Lands and Commerce ($310k).
- As of January 2015 Vision West ND is funding by North Dakota Association of Oil and Gas Producing Counties and the ND Department of Trust Lands.
- Vision West ND began with a “boots on the ground” focus in February 2012 with the kickoff of 23 Local Planning Sessions.
- Plan Sessions for each county were formed using a local steering committee consisting of local leaders from the public and private sectors.
- Public meetings to engage local citizens in the process were key to the Planning Session success.
- The local Planning Sessions were completed by the fall of 2013.
- The Planning Sessions were the planning mechanism to build local strategic plans.
- The Vision West ND effort included planning and zoning recommendations and best practices, training, municipal infrastructure summaries with conceptual cost estimates, and complete economic development strategic plans.
- The local steering committees, supported by project consultants, completed the individual local strategic plans by the end of 2013.
- An architect was solicited to provide individual project schematics for proposed developments in selected communities.
- Local strategic plans rolled into a large regional plan to address multi-jurisdictional issues.
- Implementation of the Regional plan will advance the strategies for the region.
- The Vision West ND Consortium has been appointed with representation from the counties, universities, Regional Councils in the project area, the Three Affiliated Tribes, the ND Association of Oil & Gas Producing Counties, and the Southwest REAP Zone.
- Vision West ND is working collaborative with numerous planning initiatives in Western ND.
- Additional Project Partners include USDA-Rural Development and the ND Department of Commerce.
- Federal partners include U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Department of Transportation and U.S. Economic Development Administration.
- Vision West ND website: www.visionwestnd.com. Also sign up for the e-newsletter through website
LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIC PLANS
- 23 Plans were completed by the end of September 2013.
- All local plans were approved by each county, city, or tribal governing body.
- Top five development strategies selected include:
- Infrastructure Development
- Business Retention and Expansion
- Attracting Government Funding
- Local/Regional Tourism
- Downtown Development
- Top five Quality of Life Initiatives selected include:
- Daycare and Child Programs
- Public Safety and Emergency Services
- Parks and Recreation
- Infrastructure Improvements
MUNICIPAL INFRASTRUCTURE NEEDS ASSESSMENTS
- 26 Municipal Infrastructure Needs Assessments were completed and have been delivered to the communities. All assessments were completed by November 15, 2012.
- Common Infrastructure Needs Assessment themes:
- Inadequate water supply to meet current and projected demand and fire flow needs.
- Original cast iron water mains subject to corrosion, line breaks, and water leakage.
- Inadequate lagoon capacity and aged valves.
- Lagoon seepage is prevalent.
- Original clay tile sewer mains susceptible to collapse and intrusion.
- Lack of capacity in main sewer lines.
- Accelerated deterioration due to industrial traffic.
- Major corridors in need of expansion.
- Need for by-pass routes for industrial traffic.
PLANNING AND ZONING RECOMMENDATIONS
- Two training workshops on the Planning and Zoning basics were conducted.
- A zoning enforcement webinar was held as a follow-up to the Planning and Zoning Workshops.
INDIVIDUAL PROJECT SCHEMATICS
- Participants in the local strategic planning process were invited to apply for funding support to develop architectural renderings for a specific local project.
- 10 Project Schematics were completed
- Vision West ND completed the regional plan process in March 2014 and updated it for 2015.
- With the development of the Regional Plan for Stainability, the Consortium's focus is now on plan implementation and education.